Ambassador Palmer presents check to Dr. Reginald Murphy
Ambassador Palmer presented a check for $48,000 to Dr. Reginald Murphy in Antigua to restore Betty’s Hope's windmill.
Ambassador Palmer presented a check for $48,000 to Dr. Reginald Murphy in Antigua who will lead the team in restoring the windmill. Betty’s Hope is one of the most important heritage tourism sites on Antigua. It was established in 1667 by Sir Christopher Codrington as the first large sugar estate on Antigua.
The site served for many years as the “government house” for Antigua and all documentation over its 300 year history were saved and now comprise the Codrington Papers and Archives. In recent times it has become a major tourist attraction. However, the windmill has developed stress cracks. In addition, the wood tail post is sagging and has to be supported and the hurricane damaged cap house repaired with new shingles
In 2006 The OECS helped fund part of the refurbishment of Phase 1 which was also supported by The Antiguan government in part.
This support for Phase II will fund:
· Masonry and woodwork on the 17th century Windmill.
· Replacing of a guard hut for the area. This is to be used for site control, ticket sales and entry.
· Work on the present interpretation center
More information on the AFCP can be found here: http://exchanges.state.gov/heritage/afcp.html