Federal Benefits and Veterans’ Services
The Federal Benefits unit provides assistance with Social Security, Railroad Retirement, and Department of Veterans Affairs benefits, including:
- Filing Social Security claims for retirement, survivors and disability benefits
- Filing Department of Veterans' Affairs claims for compensation, pension, education, survivor and burial benefits
- Assisting beneficiaries of pensions from the Office of Personnel Management, Washington, DC and the Railroad Retirement Board
- Assisting with beneficiary status change transactions, i.e., notice of changes of address, non-receipt of payment, etc.
- Registering Medicare enrollments and cancellations
- Facilitating earnings record inquiries
- Appointing representative payees for incapable beneficiaries
- Assisting beneficiaries to obtain birth, marriage, divorce and death records and medical evidence when necessary for claims
For males, age 18, Selective Service Registration Services are provided.